Welcome!

Welcome! My mom's mom, started a great tradition that was handed down to my mom, and then to me and my sister. Every December, we pick one night to stay up as late as we can and bake all different kinds of cookies and dessert bars to be given as gifts on Christmas. We bake into the early hours of the morning and when we're done, the dining room table is laden with platters and plates doning the most irrestible creations. This wonderful tradition is what began my love of baking, and it is something I hope to someday share with my daughter. I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog about dessert almost as much as I've enjoyed tasting and writing about dessert. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Savannah - Day 4

     We decided that we couldn't leave Savannah without visiting "Aunt" Paula Deen, so on the last evening in town, we had dinner at The Lady and Sons, famous for its low country southern cuisine. Mike, my husband, started the morning by walking to the restaurant. In order to get a table, you have to be in line at the hostess podium when they start taking names at 9am. The wait can be anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour, just to get a reservation to come back and eat...but I think it's worth it. The hoe cakes and cheese biscuits alone are worth it.

Our reservation was for 5pm, so we arrived at 4:45 to find the sidewalks that line Congress Street overflowing with people, all waiting to get into Paula Deen's restaurant. It was so busy, you would think there was a famine and The Lady and Sons was the last restaurant in Savannah serving food. We didn't have to wait long before we were called..."Mike, party of three and a highchair."

When we entered the restaurant, it was already bustling with people. It is a three-level restaurant and we were told to take the elevator to the third floor. Keep in mind that the dinner service started at 5pm, and it was only 5:15. It's VERY popular to eat at The Lady and Sons.

When we got seated, I ordered sweet tea, and it was some of the best sweet tea I've ever tasted. It comes in a big glass with a sprig of real mint, so with every sip you get the cool, sweetness of the tea mingling with the fresh scent of mint.  We all got the buffet so we could sample as much southern greasy goodness as possible. There was fried chicken, collard greens, fried okra, baked mac-n-cheese, black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, BBQ ribs...so much to choose from.

With the buffet, you get to choose one dessert from the menu, so we each got something different so we could try them all. There was ooey-gooey buttercake, chocolate gooey buttercake and banana pudding. We were so full when we left there that I vowed never to eat again! I only made it a few hours. :)


Me with my husband, mom and daughter
at The Lady and Sons


Our desserts

No comments:

Post a Comment