Welcome!

Welcome! My mom's mom, started a great tradition that was handed down to my mom, and then to me and my sister. Every December, we pick one night to stay up as late as we can and bake all different kinds of cookies and dessert bars to be given as gifts on Christmas. We bake into the early hours of the morning and when we're done, the dining room table is laden with platters and plates doning the most irrestible creations. This wonderful tradition is what began my love of baking, and it is something I hope to someday share with my daughter. I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog about dessert almost as much as I've enjoyed tasting and writing about dessert. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

I can’t believe that it is already October and, as usual, I don’t feel in the “Fall spirit”. It still feels like Summer to me….although the days are getting shorter.  But down here in Florida, the leaves aren’t changing, we’re still going to the pool on the weekends and the temperature still creeps up to 90 degrees by mid-day. In order to get into the spirit of fall, this past weekend I decided to bake pumpkin bread.  I got the recipe from my favorite celebrity cook, Paula Deen. The only thing that could have made it better was if I had added chocolate chips…of course everything is better with chocolate.


This recipe makes two full-sized loaves of pumpkin bread. I made one regular-sized loaf and three mini loaves so I could give some away to family.

Pumpkin Bread Recipe:

What You Need:
  • 2 loaf pans
  • 3 C sugar
  • 1 C vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 C canned pumpkin
  • 2/3 C water
  • 3-1/3C all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1-1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg

Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Grease and lfour two loaf pans
  • Mix sugar and oil.  Add eggs and blend
  • Combine remaining ingrediants and add slowly
  • Fill pans equally and bake for 1 hour or until golden brown

Healthy Variation:
  • For the oil, substitute 1/2 cup oil and add 1/2 cup apple sauce

1 comment:

  1. I have that magazine too. I bought everything to make the chocolate variation last weekend and ran out of time, so it's in the plans for tomorrow. So glad it's yummy! -Sylvia

    ReplyDelete