Welcome!

Welcome! My mom's mom, started a great tradition that was handed down to my mom, and then to me and my sister. Every December, we pick one night to stay up as late as we can and bake all different kinds of cookies and dessert bars to be given as gifts on Christmas. We bake into the early hours of the morning and when we're done, the dining room table is laden with platters and plates doning the most irrestible creations. This wonderful tradition is what began my love of baking, and it is something I hope to someday share with my daughter. I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog about dessert almost as much as I've enjoyed tasting and writing about dessert. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blueberry Cobbler

I made this blueberry cobbler as a breakfast treat for my co-workers, and everyone raved about how delicious it was. It is a very simple "southern" recipe with plenty of butter. Paula Deen would be proud! I got a few tips from my sister, who is continually learning new tricks about cooking from her sweet, southern in-laws...some great cooks!

When I first decided to make cobbler, I couldn't remember the recipe, as simple as it is, so that's when I called my sister. Before she married into a southern family, she couldn't even fry an egg. But, before I knew it, she was making yummy dinners from scratch without even using a recipe. "You've become so domesticated," I tell her all the time. That being said, I knew she was the one to call to make sure I was going to get the recipe right. She even made the suggestion to add baking soda because I didn't have any self-rising flour. And, she said her husband's granny told her to cut the butter, melt half of it and leave it in the bottom of the pan so that when you pour the batter over it, it bubbles up around the edges and makes them almost caramelize...or something like that...yum!

I actually made two cobblers that night because I was afraid I used too much butter in the first one. When I took it out of the oven, the melted butter was bubbling up around the edges and pooling beneath the crust. In the second cobbler, I cut the butter by half. When morning came, with the two cobblers side by side, I did a taste test and the first blueberry cobbler won, hands down. After sitting out over night to cool, the butter had soaked into the cobbler to create a rich, moist, gooey masterpiece. I decided that was the cobbler to take to work for two reasons. One, because it tasted better...and two because it was more fattening. If I was going to have a whole cobbler to graze on all weekend, it was probably best that it was the low-fat cobbler.

Blueberry Cobbler:
1 cup butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 cups milk
1tsp baking soda
2 cups blueberries (but you may substitute any other kind of fruit)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Put half of the butter in the pan and place in the oven until the butter melts
3. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and the rest of the butter (softened)
4. Pour into the pan (over the melted butter) and bake until golden bubbly

No comments:

Post a Comment