Welcome!

Welcome! My mom's mom, started a great tradition that was handed down to my mom, and then to me and my sister. Every December, we pick one night to stay up as late as we can and bake all different kinds of cookies and dessert bars to be given as gifts on Christmas. We bake into the early hours of the morning and when we're done, the dining room table is laden with platters and plates doning the most irrestible creations. This wonderful tradition is what began my love of baking, and it is something I hope to someday share with my daughter. I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog about dessert almost as much as I've enjoyed tasting and writing about dessert. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Patriotic and Delicious

Every year for the fourth of July, I make a rectangular cake and decorate it to look like an American flag by using strawberries and blueberries. This year, I used the same "red, white and blue" theme, but I created a round cake with a less obvious nod to our country's flag. I think it turned out just as patriotic...and just as delicious!

The cake is a yellow cake mix by Betty Crocker. It is two layers, with a thick layer of homemade cream cheese frosting in between. The whole cake is topped with more cream cheese frosting and decorated with strawberries and blueberries.


Cream Cheese Frosting

Mix together...
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1 comment: