Welcome!

Welcome! My mom's mom, started a great tradition that was handed down to my mom, and then to me and my sister. Every December, we pick one night to stay up as late as we can and bake all different kinds of cookies and dessert bars to be given as gifts on Christmas. We bake into the early hours of the morning and when we're done, the dining room table is laden with platters and plates doning the most irrestible creations. This wonderful tradition is what began my love of baking, and it is something I hope to someday share with my daughter. I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog about dessert almost as much as I've enjoyed tasting and writing about dessert. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Fresh-Picked Blueberry Pie

My husband and his brothers inherited some land from their father, and on that land are two small blueberry fields. On a good year, big, fat blueberries hang in bunches like grapes, making the task of picking them all too easy. Just hold your bucket under the heavy, berry laden branches...a little shake and some gentle nudging is all you need. And they are so good for you...full of antioxidants.

I received this recipe from my mother-in-law who has a great appreciation for blueberries. There is nothing like the taste of a juicy, sun-ripened blueberry, fresh off the tree. This pie is the epitome of that taste sensation.

I veered slightly from the recipe by substituting orange juice for lemon juice, and 1/4 cup tapioca for corn starch (but only because I didn't have either on hand). The end result was still delicious! Enjoy!

Fresh-Picked Blueberry Pie Recipe

What you'll need:
4 cups of fresh blueberries (not frozen)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
3 TB corn starch
1 TB butter or margarinr
2 TB lemon juice
1 small sauce pan
1 med/large bowl
1 spatula or spoon
1 pre-made pie crust
whipped cream
Instructions:
Wash and drain blueberries. Chill 3 cups of berries and put 1 cup of berries aside. Mix together sugar and tapioca in a sauce pan. Add water, orange juice and 1 cup of unchilled berries. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Pour cooked mixture into a med/large bowl with the remaining chilled blueberries. Let stand for aprx 30 minutes. Pour into pie shell and refridgerate for at least 4 hours. Top with whipped cream and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment